12/6/12

Fingerprints.

One of my most favorite pictures I took for my project in North. Thank you Maggie for your hand and the pecan. This photo is currently hanging in the Southern Studies department in Gambrell at USC if  you want to check it out. :) 

Yesterday was a rough one. I found out that I probably won't be getting the grades for which I'd hoped. It tore me apart. A frown felt permanently glued to my face. It seemed that even reading verses, and trying to direct my attention to Jesus was impossible.

It wasn't until Greek Impact that night that I began to see a tiny glimmer of light. The speaker brought up the subject of fingerprints. I think I have always been secretly fascinated with these one of a kind aspects of the human form. I grew up watching countless episodes of CSI and Law & Order. I always loved that these seemingly meaningless lines on our fingertips could actually mean so much.

The speaker talked about how God is so enormous. He holds lakes and oceans in the palm of His hand, He makes the tides turn by the movement of His fingers. And yet, He created each and every one of us with a specific purpose. We have these special prints on our fingers to show that we are, in fact, unique. My history professor can argue all he wants that we are all actually the same and will behave the same. It's not true. God has a personal, intimate relationship with each of us, individually. He, by His will, keeps our hearts beating.

Then the speaker began to talk about Jesus' death on that cross. How He fought for six hours for us. How in the middle of the day, the world went black, and then, after the time had passed, Jesus said "It is finished". He defeated sin for ME. Me, of all people. The girl who can't seem to get a good grade in an English class. The girl who lets stupid, insignificant things tear her apart. He did this to show that He still loves me. That no matter what I do, "it is finished" and there's nothing I can do to change that.

I think this is what it means to find comfort in the Gospel. In these facts. I don't think I had truly grasped that before.

I pray you find comfort in this, too. It's a good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! Let me know what you think!! <3