12/30/11

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

*********************SORRY THIS HAS TAKEN SO LONG***MINOR SPOILERS**********








I wish I had read this book before the movie was advertised. But I knew I had to read it before the movie came out. I am so glad I did. Upon beginning this book, by Stieg Larson, I was transported to beautiful and cold Sweden. Mikael Blomkvist is an investigative journalist, whose career has just come to a screeching halt. He was convicted of libel and his reputation has been greatly thwarted. He received some information about a financial superpower, Weenerstrom, but was unable to prove it. Blomkvist is editor in chief of a magazine called Millennium. He is also having a long time affair with his married co-editor Erika Berger.

So Mikael is in a bit of a predicament. Until he gets a call from a man named Henrik Vanger. Henrik was the CEO of a very major corporation until his nephew Martin took over. He has a large, mysterious family and has a very special job for Blomkvist. Henrik wants him to find out who killed his niece, Harriet.

Lisbeth Salander is an anorexic looking punk style young woman. She has been deemed mentally unstable by society and is required to have a guardian watch over her and her finances. She is a private investigator and has an unconventional method of digging up information. Her character is absolutely incredible. She is independent, despite her government appointed dependence. She has dealt with much and deals with even more during the story. I enjoyed seeing her progress. Her character is certainly one to be remembered.

The plot follows these two characters and how their paths cross. The mystery is intriguing and exhilarating. Many twists and turns take place, and the ride is incredibly exciting.

I don't want to give away too much. I have seen both the Swedish and English films. I was disappointed with the Swedish version. The book was very long, and I understand that some details have to be left out, but there were parts of the book that I wanted to see portrayed on-screen. The acting seemed a little shallow to me. At times it was difficult to take them seriously.

Then I saw the English version. The movie begins with some trippy computerized psychedelic scenes. They were interesting, a little unsettling, but I could not seem to place any of it with the plot. Other than that, I thought the production was better than the Swedish version. I enjoyed the cinematography and the atmosphere of the film. It seemed to capture the darkness that Larson created in the novel. But I felt that many of the details mentioned in the book were not explained in the movie. Much was left to be understood. I would love to hear from some who had not read the book going into the movie, because I know that if I had not read the book I would have been very confused.

I am no movie reviewer, I cannot act, but I was left wanting more from Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig. It just didn't do it for me. And then the end, oh the end. It was so different than the book. If anything should remain from book to movie I think it ought to be the end. After seeing the English version, I preferred the Swedish because of that aspect. Overall, though, it was a great film. I think it is a noteworthy story and, though very dark, is one to be heard whether that be through novel or through film. Or both! 

1 comment:

  1. so fun they have it in two languages! was is produced by totally different people? that is awesome.

    we haven't seen this yet. . . maybe we should. :)

    happy new year!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Please comment! Let me know what you think!! <3