12/28/13

Christmas Reading.

But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit, whom he poured out on us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior, so that being justified by his grace we might become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Titus 3:4-7
This is the Gospel. I am so thankful there's nothing I can do to take away His love for me, because He knows I screw it all up on a regular basis. 


One of my favorite parts of Christmas is the freedom to sit by the fire and read all the books I haven't had time to read during the semester. Last Christmas I read almost all of the Harry Potter series, this Christmas I've been looking for a little more of a variety. Here's my reading list for this short but sweet break. Enjoy. 


1Q84- Haruki Murakami

I read The Wind Up Bird Chronicle over the summer and while I already loved Murakami, I grew to love him more. It is so interesting to read his work and all the postmodern themes. I have heard this novel is one of his best works and I am so excited to read it. 


A Visit From the Goon Squad- Jennifer Egan

This novel has been on my reading list for quite a while and recently I caved in Barnes & Noble and bought it. I have never read any of Egan's work, but any novel about rock music I will gladly explore. 


The Catcher in the Rye- J. D. Salinger

A bit of an interesting story behind this one. Last Christmas I received a beautiful box set of Salinger's work and hadn't gotten around to reading any of it until now. When I was studying abroad, I read Franny & Zooey and fell in love with Salinger's writing style. He is a master of dialogue. I can only hope to create as chilling a conversation as he features on a regular basis. 

You may be asking, 'why in the world have you not read The Catcher in the Rye?' Well, calm down. We began reading this book in one of my classes in high school, aloud, together, and never finished it. I wish I had continued reading it on my own, but better late than never, right? 


This is How You Lose Her- Junot Díaz

I read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao in my English class last Spring and was captivated by Díaz's unique writing style and postmodern feel. I am so excited to read another one of his works and it helps that this version of the book has some of the writer's own illustrations. Win win. 


Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour an Introduction- J. D. Salinger

This book also came in the Salinger box set, along with Franny & Zooey and Nine Stories. I am currently reading this book as we speak and I am blown away by the mastermind that is Salinger. 

*Stay tuned for my review of this work on Monday!*


On Booze- F. Scott Fitzgerald

If you know me, you know that Fitzgerald changed my world of reading forever when I was 17 years old. He is my inspiration, and when I found this little gem in the store the other day I couldn't pass it up.  A collection of F. Scott Fitzgerald's best drinking stories with an adorably simple cover. What more could you ask for? 

**in the first picture**

Bobbed Hair and Bathtub Gin- Marion Meade

Following the 20s theme, this book describes the lives of writers Dorothy Parker, Zelda Fitzgerald, Edna St. Vincent Millay, and Edna Ferber. It was recommended to me by perhaps my favorite English professor in the world and I can't wait to be sucked into the world of the 20s all over again. 

What's on your reading list? 


See my Summer 2013 reading list here


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment! Let me know what you think!! <3